40 Hour South Dakota Broker Update Course
This 40-Hour Online Broker Upgrade Course includes a national real estate principles portion and a South Dakota State Laws and Rules portion. The course comes with companion paper documents to the lectures which are mailed by U.S. Priority Mail.
Course Approval #5067R4022
- Online Course
- Modern Real Estate Practice Book
- Course Support Document
- South Dakota Real Estate License Law
- Interactive Study Group - A weekly online interactive seminar.
Purchase InformationInformation needed to know before Purchasing the course:
- There is no refund once the course is purchased.
- This course is completely online. The course is not downloadable. The student can work through the course at their convenience.
- This course is NOT designed to be printed for security purposes and copyright regulations.
- Course Expiration - A student has six (6) months to complete the program. If the student’s course expires, the student will be offered three options to extend the course if necessary, up to a maximum of six months from the date of the course expiration. The date of expiration is at the top of the Course Page. For example if the registration date is January 1, 2021 the date of expiration is June 30, 2021 at Midnight (Eastern Standard Time). If the course is not completed within the six (6) month time period, extension options are available for a fee.
- Shipping - Shipping is FREE. The textbook(s) that are in the package the student selected will be mailed by U.S. Priority Mail. The postmaster advertises 2 to 3 day delivery. The companion textbook to the course is included in all packages, Bronze, Silver and Gold.
- Login Information - Upon registration the student will receive two emails, one is a receipt for purchase and one has the students user name and password to access their Course Page. The link to the "Student Login" is at the top of every webpage.
Course InformationInformation for Taking the course:
- Login - The student can access their Course Page by going to the "Student Login" link which is located in the top corner of the website.
- Sessions/ Chapters - The course is broken down into Sessions/Chapters. Each session corresponds to the chapters in the text book. To complete a session and move on to the next, you must finish the required assignments for that session. These assignments consist of watching the video presentation for the required amount of time, completing vocabulary matching exercises and passing the session quizzes.
- Video Presentation - This is a recorded video of our instructor going over the session with a power point presentation to help provide examples. There is a time requirement for each Session’s video presentation which needs to be watched in real time. Speeding the video up does not reduce the time requirement. To make sure time is recorded, click on the link at the top of the video SAVE AND RETURN.
- Vocabulary Matching - Most sessions have a vocabulary matching exercise where the student needs to score 100% (all words and definitions to be matched correctly) to complete the exercise.
- Session Quizzes
- As the student works through the course, there is an assessment quiz after every video presentation. The quiz must be answered with 80% accuracy before that session can be marked complete.
- Quizzes have a 3 to 1 ratio of questions, which means that if a student does not score 80% on any quiz, the student receives a second set of questions and if the student fails again to reach 80% on the second set of questions, the third set is issued. If the student fails the third set of questions, the first set is issued again. Students are encouraged to work through all the questions in the bank even though it’s not required. The time spent will be counted toward the total time required. (See seat-time below.)
- Agreement - Once the student successfully completes the summary or practice exam a link to the Agreement becomes available. Every course requires the student to complete the "Agreement," which states the student completed the course on their own.
- Seat-time Requirement: State law mandates a 40 hour course for broker update. As a result, there is a seat-time requirement of 2,000 minutes (40 hours x 50 minute hours). Each video presentation has a time requirement and the total course has a time requirement. All time spent on the video presentations, quizzes, matching exercise, text links, and any supplemental quizzes, all count towards the MINIMUM time requirement. Students can spend as much time as necessary to learn the material, so this time requirement is NOT a maximum requirement.
- Non-movement of the mouse for more than 20 minutes will disengage the student from the course page.
- Practice Exam - The course has a Practice Exam covering Real Estate Principles portion of the course. The student needs to score a 80% on the practice exam to move forward and complete the course. The practice exam has a 3 to 1 ratio of questions and as explained previously all students are encouraged to work through all questions in the bank and time spent will count towards the minimum time requirement.
- Final Exam - The course has a Final Exam that consists of 50 questions. The student needs to score a 75% on the final exam to complete the course.
Course OutlineOutline for 40 Hour SD Salesperson License Upgrade to Broker Associate Course
National Real Estate Principles
Session - Subject
Session 1 - Introduction to the Real Estate Business
Session 2 - Real Property & the Law
Session 3 - Interests in Real Estate
Session 4 - Forms of Real Estate Ownership
Session 5 - Land Description
Session 6 - Transfer of Title
Session 7 - Title Records
Session 8 - Real Estate Brokerage
Session 9 - Real Estate Agency
Session 10 - Client Representation Agreements
Session 11 - Real Estate Contracts
Session 12 - Real Estate Financing
Session 13 - Government Involvement in Financing
Session 14 - Closing the Real Estate Transaction
Session 15 - Real Estate Taxes and Other Liens
Session 16 - Real Estate Appraisal
Session 17 - Leases
Session 18 - Fair Housing
Session 19 - Property Management
Session 20 - Land-Use Controls and Property Development
Session 21 - Environmental Issues & the Real Estate Transaction
Session 22 - Modern Real Estate Math
South Dakota State Specific
Session 1 – Introduction to the Commission
Session 2 – Unprofessional Acts and Discipline
Session 3 – The Disciplinary Process
Session 4 – Applying for Licensure
Session 5 – License Maintenance
Session 6 – Brokerage Duties and Relationships
Session 7 – Agreements, Contracts, & Disclosures
Session 8 – Sales & Other Transactions
After you enroll, a licensed real estate instructor will be available for questions Monday through Friday between 8:30 A. M. and 5:00 P. M. EST. We encourage students to e-mail the instructor with questions regarding the On-Line course at Info@CookeSchool.com. With an e-mail to the instructor, the student will have a written document of the response. For questions by e-mail, there is a 24 Hour response time Monday through Friday. E-mails over Saturday, Sunday or a legal holiday will be returned the first business day. Also on each student page is a "Live Chat" link. When the live chat link shows "online" the student can ask the operator any questions they have. Cooke encourages communication with the school.
Technical & On-line Course Questions:
- If I forget my real estate course password, where can I find it?
Please call the school at 1-800-943-9993 Monday - Friday between 8am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- My video won't play.
Check Internet connection, change browser to Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, some computers need to download Microsoft Silverlight. Or you may call the Cooke Real Estate School at 1-800-943-9993 Monday - Friday between 8am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time.
- My score isn't showing up in the grade section.
Refresh your browser, sometimes there is a very short delay.
- Can I use my tablet?
Tablets and Kindall's are not recommended because of connectivity issues and stability, especially for timed-end-of-course exams.
- Does the real estate license course work on all the platforms?
- Once I log into my course page, do I have to login each time using my user name and password?
- I watched the video course presentation but i still can't move forward, what do I do?
Be sure to click on the 'SAVE AND RETURN' button, or simply refresh your page.
- If I have a question regarding a quiz question(s), how can I get help?
There are three different aspects of communication with the school: phone, email or live chat. The school makes a big effort to respond within 24 hours if by email. On weekends and holidays, we also try to respond within 24 hours, sometimes it may be the next business day.
- Once I register how quickly can I start?
Upon registration there are two emails sent to the student. One is a receipt and the other contains your user name and password. Students can then access their Course Page right away and start the course.
- All courses come with a real estate course textbook(s), should I wait until I have the book to start?
Having a textbook is a VERY important part of the course, but you can certainly start without it. The school recommends waiting until you receive the companion textbook.
- Is the course evaluation necessary for me to complete the course?
Yes, the evaluation needs to be completed. The evaluation is mandated by ARELLO which is required by the state regulatory agencies. Any comment that you would like to make that we can post on our Testimonial page is very much appreciated.
- Is a Student Affidavit required to be completed to obtain a certificate of completion?
Yes, mandated by regulatory agencies.
- What happens if I have technical issues?
If you are having a technical issue, please call Cooke Real Estate School so we can determine what the issue is. If we can't solve it over the phone, we recommend allowing your tech staff to access your computer device, so we can actually see the same thing you are seeing. Students that are taking the course with an iPad or iPhone, our technicians will not be able to access those devices.