90 Hour West Virginia Principles Course
Cooke Real Estate School - A Real Estate Pre-Licensing course offered online for West Virginia. State Approved, Self-Paced, Valuable Learning Tools, and Companion Textbooks are included with all packages. Obtaining a real estate agent license is just a click away.
West Virginia Real Estate Commission Approval #57 (Since January 4, 2005)
WV Council for Community and Technical College Certificate
ARELLO Certification #4112
- Online License Course
- Modern Real Estate Practice Book & Study Guide
- West Virginia Real Estate License Act & Legislative Rules
- Candidate Handbook
- Course Support Document
- Interactive Study Group - A weekly online interactive seminar.
- All Items in the Bronze Package Included
- Additional Textbooks:
- Guide to passing the PSI Real Estate Exam
- Mastering Real Estate Math
- Extra Online Course - PSI Exam Prep Online Course
- All Items in the Silver Package Included
- Additional Textbooks:
- The Language of Real Estate
- Up and Running in 30 days
- Modern Real Estate Practice Flash Cards
- All Items in the Gold Package Included
- Additional Textbook:
- Sales and Marketing 101
- Extra Online Course - Sales and Marketing 101
Purchase InformationInformation needed to know before Purchasing the course:
- This course is completely online. The course is not downloadable. The student can work through the course at their convenience.
- This course is NOT designed to be printed for security purposes and copyright regulations.
- Course Expiration - A student has six (6) months to complete the program. If the student’s course expires, the student will be offered three options to extend the course if necessary, up to a maximum of six months from the date of the course expiration. The date of expiration is at the top of the Course Page. For example if the registration date is January 1, 2021 the date of expiration is June 30, 2021 at Midnight (Eastern Standard Time). If the course is not completed within the six (6) month time period, extension options are available for a fee.
- Shipping - Shipping is FREE. The textbook(s) that are in the package the student selected will be mailed by U.S. Priority Mail. The postmaster advertises 2 to 3 day delivery. The companion textbook to the course is included in all packages, Bronze, Silver and Gold.
- Security Questions - When the student registers for the course, the student is asked some personal questions. Twice during the course the student must answer two of the security questions asked upon registration. The question must be answered correctly before being able to continue with the course.
- Login Information - Upon registration the student will receive two emails, one is a receipt for purchase and one has the student’s user name and password to access their Course Page. The link to the "Student Login" is at the top of every webpage.
Course InformationInformation for Taking the course:
- Login - The student can access their Course Page by going to the "Student Login" link which is located in the top corner of the website.
- Sessions/ Chapters - The course is broken down into Sessions/Chapters. Each session corresponds to the chapters in the text book. To complete a session and move on to the next, you must finish the required assignments for that session. These assignments consist of watching the video presentation for the required amount of time, completing vocabulary matching exercises and passing the session quizzes.
- Video Presentation - This is a recorded video of our instructor going over the session with a power point presentation to help provide examples. There is a time requirement for each Sessions video presentation which needs to be watched in real time. Speeding the video up does not reduce the time requirement. To make sure time is recorded, click on the link at the top of the video SAVE AND RETURN.
- Vocabulary Matching - Each session has a vocabulary matching exercise where the student needs to score 100% (all words and definitions to be matched correctly) to complete the exercise.
- Session Quizzes
- As the student works through the course, there is an assessment quiz after every video presentation. The quiz must be answered with 80% accuracy before that session can be marked complete.
- Quizzes have a 3 to 1 ratio of questions, which means that if a student does not score 80% on any quiz, the student receives a second set of questions and if the student fails again to reach 80% on the second set of questions, the third set is issued. If the student fails the third set of questions, the first set is issued again. Students are encouraged to work through all the questions in the bank even though its not required. The time spent will be counted toward the total time required. (See seat-time below.)
- Agreement - Once the student successfully completes the summary or practice exam a link to the Agreement becomes available. Every course requires the student to complete the "Agreement," which states the student completed the course on their own.
- Seat-time Requirement: State law mandates a 90-hour course for pre-licensure. As a result, there is a seat-time requirement of 4,500 minutes (90 hours x 50-minute hours). Each video presentation has a time requirement and the total course has a time requirement. All time spent on the video presentations, quizzes, matching exercise, text links, and any supplemental quizzes, all count towards the MINIMUM time requirement. Students can spend as much time as necessary to learn the material, so this time requirement is NOT a maximum requirement.
- Non-movement of the mouse for more than 20 minutes will disengage the student from the course page.
- Practice Exam - The course has a Practice Exam. The student needs to score at least 75% on the practice exam to move forward and complete the course. The practice exam has a 3 to 1 ratio of questions, and as explained previously all students are encouraged to work through all questions in the bank, and time spent will count towards the minimum time requirement.
- Final Exam - Once the student passes the practice exam and has spent the required 4,500 minutes in the course, West Virginia regulations require the student to pass a 150-question final exam. A passing grade of 75% is required.
Please be aware the West Virginia Real Estate Commission requires the original completion certificate from the school with the application, so please leave enough time to receive the certificate to attach to your application.
License Application Process
License requirements require:
- 18 years of age or older
- be a high school graduate or the holder of an equivalency diploma.
- successfully complete the 90 Hour West Virginia Principles course and pass an end-of-course exam with a minimum of 75% in each of the four categories: 1) principles and practices; 2) real estate law; 3) real estate finance; 4) real estate appraising
- the student passes the required West Virginia national real estate exam and a West Virginia laws and rules exam with a 75% or more on both exams.
Criminal background check:
- All applicants for a salesperson license are required to submit to a state and national criminal background check.
- All criminal background checks must be completed and received by the commission prior being approved to take the state exams.
- To schedule an appointment for the fingerprinting go to: https://www.identogo.com
- You must take this form with you: APPLICATION FOR BACKGROUND CHECK
- The fee for the state and federal background check is $43.60 (if authorized by WVSP and FBI) which you pay when you appear for your appointment. The results are sent to the West Virginia Real Estate Commission.
Step by Step process and time-line requirement for licensure for salesperson:
- Step 1: All students must go through background check. It is suggested to be one of the first steps the student must take in the licensing process.
- Criminal background check is good for 90 days
- Step 2: Take the 90-hour course requirement and pass the end-of-course exam.
- Step 3: The completion certificate for the course is mailed to the student, for the WVREC requires an original certificate from the school, the student needs to attached completion certificate to the State Application.
- Step 3: Submit the STATE APPLICATION to the West Virginia Real Estate Commission for approval to take the State Exam. Please review the application thoroughly so you know what all the requirements are.
- Once the license application has been it approved it is good for 90 days.
- Step 4: The student needs to schedule with PSI an appointment to take the exam two required exams.
- The student must take both the national and WV State specific exam with PSI within the 90-day period that the application allows.
- The exam provider has various locations to take the exams. Currently the exam centers are: Charleston (Dunbar WV); Beckley WV; Bridgeport WV; Hagerstown MD; and Pittsburgh PA.
- Step 5: Upon passing BOTH exams, the student must use this LETTER OF REQUEST with a $75 fee to the West Virginia Real Estate Commission to obtain the real estate license.
- This must be done within 90 days of passing the two required State Exams.
- Please review the West Virginia PSI CANDIDATE HANDBOOK. VERY IMPORTANT.
CANCELLATION and REFUND POLICIES
To obtain a permit a school shall have a cancellation and refund policy that incorporates the following provisions:
- A statement relative to the unused portion of tuition, fees, and other charges if the student does not begin classes, withdraws, or is dismissed.
- All fees and payments remitted to a school by a prospective student shall be refunded, minus any stated application fee not to exceed fifty dollars ($50) and textbook fee of $50, if the student is not admitted due to ineligibility.
- An admitted student applicant may cancel, by written notice, his or her enrollment any time prior to the first class day of the session for which the application was made, and the school shall refund all tuition paid by the student minus an application fee not to exceed fifty dollars ($50) and a textbook fee of $50.
- A home study program of instruction shall be terminated if a school does not receive a lesson or an appropriate response from the student within six months after receipt of the last lesson, and the date of withdrawal shall be the date of the last lesson received. The date of withdrawal initiated by a student shall be the date a letter is post marked or proper notification is given. The school shall provide a receipt for the letter or withdrawal notice received.
- Schools are required to submit refunds to individuals or the appropriate agency within twenty (20) days after receipt of a proper notification of termination from a student.
The student refund policy for withdrawals and terminations for schools not accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education must at a minimum comply with the following:
- A student who begins a term and withdraws after completing up to one (1) week or ten percent (10%) of the term is entitled to a refund of ninety percent (90%) of the charges less the application fee.
- A student who begins a term and withdraws after completing more than ten percent (10%) through twenty-five percent (25%) of the term is entitled to a refund of seventy-five percent (75%) of the charges less the application fee.
- A student who withdraws after completing more than twenty-five percent (25%) through fifty percent (50%) of the term is entitled to a refund of fifty percent (50%) of the charges less the application fee.
- A student who withdraws after completing more than fifty percent (50%) of the term is not entitled to a refund.
- Refunds shall be calculated for a specific term as defined in Section 2 of this rule, or the total cost of programs not exceeding one year. In the event that students are financially obligated for a year-long program, the refund policy shall be on a weekly prorated basis through the first sixty percent (60%) of the program. The student's financial commitment shall not be for more than one year at any given time.
- Those schools having their physical facilities located outside this state must comply with the cancellation and refund policies of their home state. If there is no state cancellation and refund policy in their home state, Section 11 of this policy must be followed.
Course OutlineOutline for 90 Hour West Virginia Real Estate Principles Course
National Real Estate Principles
Session - Subject
Session 1 - Introduction to the Real Estate Business
Session 2 - Real Property & the Law
Session 3 - Interests in Real Estate
Session 4 - Forms of Real Estate Ownership
Session 5 - Land Description
Session 6 - Transfer of Title
Session 7 - Title Records
Session 8 - Real Estate Brokerage
Session 9 - Real Estate Agency
Session 10 - Client Representation Agreements
Session 11 - Real Estate Contracts
Session 12 - Real Estate Financing
Session 13 - Government Involvement in Financing
Session 14 - Closing the Real Estate Transaction
Session 15 - Real Estate Taxes and Other Liens
Session 16 - Real Estate Appraisal
Session 17 - Leases
Session 18 - Fair Housing
Session 19 - Property Management
Session 20 - Land-Use Controls and Property Development
Session 21 - Environmental Issues & the Real Estate Transaction
Session 22 - Modern Real Estate Math
Modern Practice Exam
West Virginia State Specific
Session 1 - West Virginia Real Estate License Act & Legislative Rules
Session 2 - Part 1 - West Virginia Licensing & Conduct of Brokerage Business
Session 3 - Part 2 - West Virginia Licensing & Conduct of Brokerage Business
Session 4 - West Virginia Requirement in Approval & Registration of Real Estate Courses, Providers and Instructors
Session 5 - West Virginia Procedures for Investigation & Resolution of Complaints and Contested Case Hearings
- To experience the best results from a technical perspective on the course, please view the following RECOMMENDED SOFTWARE.
- Call TOLL FREE (800)943-9993 Monday through Friday 8:30 A. M. to 5:00 P.M. EST.
- E-mail at Info@CookeSchool.com.
- Chat at the top of every webpage and Student Page.
Cooke Real Estate School complies with West Virginia Title 135 - Series 35.
After you enroll, a licensed real estate instructor will be available for questions Monday through Friday between 8:30 A. M. and 5:00 P. M. CST. We encourage students to e-mail the instructor with questions regarding the On-Line course at Info@CookeSchool.com. With an e-mail to the instructor, the student will have a written document of the response. For questions by e-mail, there is a 24 Hour response time Monday through Friday. E-mails over Saturday, Sunday or a legal holiday will be returned the first business day. Also on each student page is a "Live Chat" link. When the live chat link shows "online" the student can ask the operator any questions they have. Cooke encourages communication with the school.
Technical & On-line Course Questions:
- If I forget my real estate course password, where can I find it?
Please call the school at 1-800-943-9993 Monday - Friday between 8am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time, or send an email to email@example.com.
- My video won't play.
Check Internet connection, change browser to Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, some computers need to download Microsoft Silverlight. Or you may call the Cooke Real Estate School at 1-800-943-9993 Monday - Friday between 8am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time.
- My score isn't showing up in the grade section.
Refresh your browser, sometimes there is a very short delay.
- Can I use my tablet?
Tablets and Kindall's are not recommended because of connectivity issues and stability, especially for timed-end-of-course exams.
- Does the real estate license course work on all the platforms?
- Once I log into my course page, do I have to login each time using my user name and password?
- I watched the video course presentation but i still can't move forward, what do I do?
Be sure to click on the 'SAVE AND RETURN' button, or simply refresh your page.
- If I have a question regarding a quiz question(s), how can I get help?
There are three different aspects of communication with the school: phone, email or live chat. The school makes a big effort to respond within 24 hours if by email. On weekends and holidays, we also try to respond within 24 hours, sometimes it may be the next business day.
- Once I register how quickly can I start?
Upon registration there are two emails sent to the student. One is a receipt and the other contains your user name and password. Students can then access their Course Page right away and start the course.
- All courses come with a real estate course textbook(s), should I wait until I have the book to start?
Having a textbook is a VERY important part of the course, but you can certainly start without it. The school recommends waiting until you receive the companion textbook.
- Is the course evaluation necessary for me to complete the course?
Yes, the evaluation needs to be completed. The evaluation is mandated by ARELLO which is required by the state regulatory agencies. Any comment that you would like to make that we can post on our Testimonial page is very much appreciated.
- Is a Student Affidavit required to be completed to obtain a certificate of completion?
Yes, mandated by regulatory agencies.
- What happens if I have technical issues?
If you are having a technical issue, please call Cooke Real Estate School so we can determine what the issue is. If we can't solve it over the phone, we recommend allowing your tech staff to access your computer device, so we can actually see the same thing you are seeing. Students that are taking the course with an iPad or iPhone, our technicians will not be able to access those devices.